Not all the responsibility falls on the shoulders of the house sitter. There are some things the homeowner can do to ensure the safety, security, and comfort of their house sitter. A happy sitter means the house will be taken care of, the pets will be adored, and they will want to return for future sits.
Here are Six Ways for the Homeowner to Make a House Sitter feel “At Home”
1. Make sure the house is clean and ready for the sitter’s stay.
2. Provide comfortable sleeping accommodation.
3. Wi-Fi connection is great for those sitters who work online.
4. A map showing markets, restaurants, parks, events, etc., in the area.
5. Permission to use the kitchen and its gadgets at will (let them know if there are boundaries, such as what food to eat in the fridge, freezer, and pantry).
6. The simple words of “make yourself at home” makes all the difference, as the house sitter will feel trusted and respected.
The sitter homeowner relationship is like any other relationship. A mutual trust needs to be in place between both of you. Beautiful and meaningful friendships blossom from that trust.